Saturday, May 30, 2026

A LETTER TO THE FUTURE

 I shall write a letter to the future unborn;

And in my words I shall tell him thus:

I lived in a time when faces were long

And the things seen and heard,

Were all but steady cascades of cold comfort.

I lived in a time when preaching peace,

was a hilarious heresy, and the deeds of men,

Were all but seeds of war.

I lived in a time when the head thoroughly thought,

That there was no neck that bore him so.


I lived in a time, when many men, so richly poor,

Were all but comfy footstools, for their fellow men

I lived in a time, when few a grain morsel.

From the rich man's table, was happily eaten,

By the dogs that lay below


I lived in a time, when "hope" was a hollow hoax

And many miserable misfortunes.

Were made by the misdeeds of many men.

To you my friend, 0 future unbom,

If it be that I shan't see the sun's true light

Or the looming light of the lady lunar,

Find these bitter words of mine, in the tomb of my

thoughts,

And arm your hands, with scimitars of vengeance and

justice.

To you my friend, O future unborn,

I bequeath this present putrid past, to be your ally,

As you shall go forth, with your scimitars, singing in

the air,

Write these words of mine upon history's wall,

With the blood of mother earth's misfits.


A LETTER TO THE FUTURE is my first published poem. It was originally published in 2017, in the IRAWO Poetry Anthology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A LETTER TO THE FUTURE

 I shall write a letter to the future unborn; And in my words I shall tell him thus: I lived in a time when faces were long And the things s...